[OAI-implementers] OAI-PMH & SOAP

Hussein Suleman hussein@vt.edu
Sat, 02 Feb 2002 16:45:01 -0500

hi

by my understanding of OAI, i think there are some slight misconceptions
in this discussion and i am going to make a possibly non-pc attempt to
address those from my personal perspective:

- OAI-PMH is not for everyone ... if we generalize it to serve the needs
of every community it will not be as useful for the purposes for which
it was intended originally (namely, high-quality metadata transfer among
digital library systems)

- the primary users of OAI will not be "harvesters" (in the crawler
sense) ... OAI is specifically NOT trying to create a better Google ...
OAI-PMH is aimed at high-quality metadata transfer among managed digital
libraries

- OAI-PMH is not the silver bullet ! this is a research project within
the DL community. other people/communities ought to design protocols
better suited to their needs (using SOAP if necessary).

this is not a political issue - most of us on this mailing list are
technical/research people ... to all interested in SOAP, how about
trying to implement OAI over SOAP and then discuss that ? this is after
all an implementors mailing list ... personally, i am willing to try it
- i just reread the SOAP spec the other day and it seems straightforward
enough (to anyone willing to work with me, send me email). i cannot say
"aye" or "nay" to SOAP until i have tested it and i think it is
reasonable to expect the same of everyone else.

ttfn
----hussein

(yet another member of the tech committee, writing in a personal capacity)

hussein suleman - hussein@vt.edu - vtcs - http://www.husseinsspace.com