[OAI-implementers] usefulness of free text fields

Joe Futrelle Joe Futrelle <futrelle@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:49:21 -0500

Hang on, isn't the "usage" tag defined in the e-prints about schema
and not in OAI proper?  And so this discussion only pertains to
archives using that schema, right?

I hope so.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 10:58:33AM -0400, Glen Newton wrote:
> Thom Hickey (hickey@oclc.org) wrote:
> > I would agree that a free text field about rights to metadata is not useful.
> > I expect that a few levels could probably be made to work, although I'd stay
> > away from rights to the object pointed at.  That doesn't seem like where OAI
> > should be concentrating.
> >
> > On the other hand, why are you publishing the metadata if you don't want it
> > used?  The best way to control rights will be by who you let into your
> > server and if it's a public server it would seem there is an expectation
> > that it may be consolidated by others into larger catalogs.
>
> If this is indeed the case, then why have a usage tag at all, if
> everyone is assuming that all the metadata is public? It becomes
> rather meaningless. I personally do not think this is the case,
> otherwise we would be limiting the protovol and by extension, the
> metadata publishing and consuming communities.
>
> -glen

Joe Futrelle                  | "Nicole restarted us, at the last
Technical Lead                | moment, but those partaken shops won't
Emerge / SDT / DMV / NCSA     | have been backdating yon appendages."
http://emerge.ncsa.uiuc.edu/  | -- F. K. Newark