[OAI-implementers] usefulness of free text fields

Xiaoming Liu liu_x@cs.odu.edu
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:48:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

It might be interesting to see how web crawler/robot works, search engines
like google traverse the Web automatically, and there is not something
like "right" level which restricts what crawler can do or not.

But there is a Robots Exclusion Protocol,
http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/norobots.html , by this protocol, "A Web site
administrator can indicate which parts of the site should not be vistsed
by a robot, by providing a specially formatted file on their site, in
http://.../robots.txt. Note that these methods reply on cooperation from
the Robot, and are by no means guaranteed to work for every Robots."

If we assume it's difficult to specify appropriate "right" level in oai,
probably we just let data providers have the right to "disallow/allow"
specific service provider.

regards,
Liu