[OAI-implementers] ListMetadataFormats problem

lagoze@cs.cornell.edu lagoze@cs.cornell.edu
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:15:15 -0500

Jeff, I think you've got the wrong approach here.  Having spent the last
hour or so staring at the xml schema primer at
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0  I found the explanation on importing
types at http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/#import.  Using this mechanism
you can pull in types (elements) from another namespace.  E.g., you
could define a schema carlmeta.xsd with a target namespace
http://foo.org/carlmeta with an import of
http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1.  I quote the primer:

When schema components are imported from multiple namespaces, each
namespace must be identified with a separate import element. The import
elements themselves must appear as the first children of the schema
element. Furthermore, each namespace must be associated with a prefix,
using a standard namespace declaration, and that prefix is used to
qualify references to any schema components belonging to that namespace.
Finally, import elements optionally contain a schemaLocation attribute
to help locate resources associated with the namespaces.

Don't have time now to experiment with this but coming up with an
example shouldn't be too hard.

Carl