[OAI-implementers] ListMetadataFormats problem

Hussein Suleman hussein@vt.edu
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:10:07 -0500

hi

i think Jeff and Steven have made some interesting points that
illustrate exactly how we expect the protocol to be used - as the
individual communities see fit to use it.

that said, i want to suggest an alternative (with yet one more level of
encapsulation) that will allow for a solution without changing the
existing schemata ... we could create a container to hold multiple
metadata types which each still retain their original schemata and
namespaces, and which does not require a change to
ListMetadataFormats...

<dc_myelems xmlns="http://metadata.gurus.org/dc_myelems">
  <dc xmlns="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
    <title>Some random title</title>
    <creator>Some random creator</creator>
  </dc>
  <myelems xmlns="http://www.myelems.com/">
    <shoesize>25</shoesize>
  </myelems>
</dc_myelems>

which raises the interesting point about what we should do if something
in the protocol needs to be changed ... i presume that since it is
frozen, nothing can be changed unless it is definitely an error (as
opposed to a missing feature) ... but i could be wrong here ...

ttfn

hussein

hussein suleman -- hussein@vt.edu -- vt cs --
http://purl.org/net/hussein