[OAI-implementers] Re: [oai-alpha] Re: Help!

herbert van de sompel herbertv@CS.Cornell.EDU
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:21:36 -0500

hi all,

Quite an interesting discussion regarding the exception handling (400,
empty records et all).

When writing the specs as a result of the discussion over the weekend 2
weeks ago, my goal was to distinguish between the handling of:
- illegal verbs,
- illegal arguments,
- values (both illegal and not leading to any result).

I thought that was a pretty clear line to draw:

- illegal protocol syntax: usage of illegal verbs and illegal arguments
results in 400
- something wrong with argument values: usage of illegal values and/or
values that lead to no result yield "empty" responses

The current dicussion seems to suggest that illegal values should also
result in a 400.  But from the discussion, it shows that defining what
an illegal value is isn't all that simple: illegal as to the protcol
(e.g. illegal format for datestamp) or illegal in a certain repository
(e.g. non-supported metadataPrefix), ...

While I do agree that the provision of a datestamp with an illegal
syntax can be considered to be illegal protocol syntax, I remain tempted
to stick with the original concept, whereby everything that is releated
to values of arguments is NOT handled with a 400, but with an "empty"
response.  Please note that the out-of-context usage of a
resumptionToken falls under the category of "illegal protocol syntax"
because the section on resumptionTokens explicitely says "all other
usage of resumptionTokens is illegal and hence returns 400".

 I think that the issue re oai-format identifiers that was brought up
supports the above approach: some repos will use oai-formated
identifiers, others will not.  similarly, other xsd's will be used as
"description" containers, some of which may limit the validity of other
argument values (valid set values, for instance).  if we take the return
of 400 down to the level of argument values, and in addition take into
account these repo (or community) specific issues in the decission
whether an argument value is "legal" or "illegal" (hence in deciding
whether to return 400 or not), all repos will do exception handling in
different manners.  I am not too enthusiastic about that idea.

I am very interested in comments.

herbert