[OAI-implementers] RE: [oai-alpha] Re: Fwd: MARC to DC Translator (ALPHA)

Young,Jeff jyoung@oclc.org
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:54:37 -0500

(I'm redirecting this from the oai-alpha list to the oai-implementers list
where most of the related discussion has occurred.)

I'm pleased to hear that LC is leading the effort for a one-way crosswalk.
My assumption is that such a specification would be definitive making the
entire discussion of my CORC-based server obsolete. Once the spec is
published, we will want to identify the mechanisms that people can use to
perform the conversions. For example, I can imagine a MARC-XML to DC
transform being performed using XSLT stylesheets. Having such a stylesheet
available would make life very easy for many of us.

Assuming that discussion of my server isn't entirely moot now, you're quite
welcome to run your records through it. I'm confident that you'll find
problems, but that's why I called it an alpha. I promise to resolve any
problems you report as quickly as I can.

CORC's crosswalk is table driven, so, in theory, I should be able to package
it up in readable form. I'll distribute something to the list as soon as I
can.

Jeff