[OAI-implementers] Universal Identifiers

herbert van de sompel herbertv@CS.Cornell.EDU
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:21:06 -0500

ePrints Support wrote:

> Is there a plan for registering archive identifiers yet? I'd like
> to mention it in the eprints.org documentation.

We are working on this.  Carl will send a reply very soon.

> Does anyone know of a system for assigning unqique identifiers to
> other cromulent entities such as people (creators), institutions
> and/or anything else you might want to uniquely identify in an
> archives metadata.
>

>From a recent conversation, I understand that The International DOI
Foundation thinks that assigning identifiers to "parties" (in addition
to "creations") should be part of their long term strategy.  I also
learnt that the IDF and CNRI are looking into collaborating with an EC
project named InterParty that works on the notion of a "Directory of
Parties".  CNRI's expertise with handle technology could obviously be
very valuable with this respect.

In the OpenURL linking framework we equally need such identifiers for
parties.  This was one of the initial findings of my SFX research.  I
have recently been in touch with CNRI regarding assigning handles to
parties in the context of an ongoing experiment re the alternative
resolution of DOI's using the OpenURL framework
(http://sfxserv.rug.ac.be:8888/public/xref)

herbert