[OAI-general] RE: OAI-general digest, Vol 1 #74 - 1 msg

Hussein Suleman hussein@vt.edu
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:44:26 -0500

hi

i'll bite :)

without going into the differences between data and metadata management,
i agree that in general it is much better to outsource archive
management. however, i am not sure if everyone is in a position to do
that just yet.

notably, most universities and non-profit organizations do not seem to
have found a workable business model to sustain DLs with
manually-enforced quality controls (e.g., peer reviews, editing) and
still give away the content for free as expected by their users.

so, as a result, it seems some institutions are considering setting up
institutional archives (and hosting non-institutional archives at
institutions) to piggyback on the already sizeable technology investment
and networking infrastructure in the higher education and research sector.

sure, there are problems with this model, including that:-
- it doesn't address non-institutional DLs
- it doesn't scale arbitrarily (once archives get too large
"piggyback"ing is no longer an option)
- it perpetuates the view that content should be free (i think at least
some of it should be!)

but, all things considered, i think it will work in the short term until
we find a better solution :) ... and, it may also work in the long term
for very specialized areas. in a way, it may bring the advantages of DL
technology to those "mini-archives" that cannot afford off-site hosting.

just a few thoughts ...

ttfn
----hussein