[UPS] please plan for/advise about upcoming OAI workshop(s); FYI on ano ther proposal

fox@vt.edu fox@vt.edu
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:27:33 -0500

Hi!

There now is official approval of the OAI workshop that will
be in between and hosted by both ACM Hypertext'2000 and
ACM Digital Libraries '2000. It will be June 3, in San Antonio.
Can someone advise how we can try to get travel support for
attendees?  Please mark that Saturday on your calendars, and
please consider also attending one or both of the two adjacent
conferences. See http://www.dl00.org/ and http://www.ht00.org/
for details about the conferences, including accommodations
and travel information.  I'll announce more about the workshop
later.  Meanwhile, if anyone wants to present during the day-long
event, give me a title and desired duration.

For follow-up events, there are a number of alternatives. We
can go for some or all.  I'd be happy to submit a proposal,
due in a week, for ACM SIGIR'99, July 24-28, Athens, a nice
venue in Europe. We also plan, I believe, to have something
in connection with ECDL, Lisbon, Sept. 18-20.  I'll leave
proposals for that to others since I believe there has been
some discussion about it already.  However, I do think that
having something at SIGIR, where there is a lot of discussion
on federated searching etc., would be of value and so am
willing to help there if people think that is appropriate.

Regarding trying to get funds, and to spread the activity
around, I am pleased to announce that J. Alfredo Sanchez and
David Garza-Salazar, respectively from Puebla and Monterrey,
Mexico, developers of digital library software systems (U-DL-A
and Phronesis) are both interested in research related to OAI.
We are preparing a small proposal to NSF and the corresponding
agency in Mexico, CONACyT, for collaborative work related to
OAI. A short draft summary is at
 http://dl.cs.vt.edu/e/pub/misc/UDLAITESMa.pdf
I'm writing to let people know, since the proposal refers to
OAI and mentions those involved.  If anyone wants to see a copy,
please contact me and I'll send more information.

Please remember to plan on June 3, and to send comments about
the other ideas about workshops. Regards, Ed