[UPS] UPS rename

Stevan Harnad harnad@coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 19:50:47 +0000 (GMT)

Herb, for some reason you left out my two candidates, sent you on Oct.
26:

(1) Author Auto-Archiving initiative
(2) Public Archiving initiative.
(I would now amend two to Interoperable Public Eprint Archiving Initiative)

Below, I prefer the candidates that are clear, unambiguous, and
self-explanatory, over the cutesy, non-explanatory acronyms. Why do we
need an acronym at all? "ArXive" or "Eprint" tells it all best as a
handle, and the long-hand name of the project need not be the expansion
of acronym ititials.

Chrs, S