[UPS] UPS rename

herbert van de sompel herbert.vandesompel@rug.ac.be
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:21:29 +0200

Hi,

Here is a list of suggestions for UPS replacement names, shown in no
particular order.

- Joint Eprint Initiative (JEI or JEPI) (jepi.org not taken)
- Scholary Archives Initiative (SAI or SAxI) (could prepend Networked or
Electronic)(sai.org , saxi.org not taken)
- InterConnected Eprint Archives (Initiative) (ICEA)(I)
- Interoperable Eprint Archives (Initiative) (IEA)(I)
- Interoperable Self Archive (Initiative) (ISA)(I)
- Interoperable Scholarship (Initiative) (ISA)(I)
- InterConnected Auto Archive (Initiative) (IAA)(I)
- Institutional Eprint Archives (Initiative) (IEA)(I)
- Eprint Archive Initiative (EAI)
- Research Archives Initiative (RAI) (rai.org not taken)
- Research Communications Infrastructure (RCI) (rci.org not taken)
- Institutional Research Archives (IRA)
- Interoperable Research Archives (IRA)
- Archives for Institutional Research (AIR)
- Free Archives for Institutional Research (FAIR)
- Academic Archiving Interoperablity Initiative (AAII) (my comment:
could pronounce a two i two, a2i2.org not taken)
- Kepler
- Opcit
- International Consortia of Electronic Scholarly Archives (ICESA)
- UPS

My personal opinion (if I may express one on this delicate matter):
although many names explain very well what this all is about, most sound
rather boring.  Do we want that?  Judging purely on "sound", I intend to
prefer JEPI, AIR, FAIR, RAI, Opcit and a2i2.  Mind that RAI is delicate
in Europe: Italian TV station running shows scoring high on lack of good
taste.

Can the list reach a decision on this before Friday November 5th, by
self-organization?

I am off to South Africa.

greetings

herbert