[UPS] <journal> journal

herbert van de sompel herbert.vandesompel@rug.ac.be
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 13:29:04 +0200

As I said my suggestion is in no sense in contradiction to Stevan's.  We
are talking about different things, basically.  Stevan wants a field to
describe "Published in".  I suggest a field for "Author is interested to
publish in".  My suggestion to put the latter in the Subject field is
based on my primitive understanding that a journal title often gives a
good indication on the subject area.  But this info could as well be
held in another field, and Stevan has good points to illustrate why it
should indeed be in another field.  And I gave some illustrations of
potential other use for the field.

A problem I see with Stevan's suggestion is that the Journal field will
sparsely be filled out, because it requires the author to go back to the
preprint metadata, once he knows in which journal, issue etc... his
paper will be published.  In order to avoid this, we might come to a
convergence of Stevan's and my suggestion and use Journal tag
- initially to contain "author is interested to publish in"
- whenever a real publication occurs and the author thinks of editing
the metadata, use it to contain "published in"
The XML DTD could give both a seperate attribute.

Apart from that, allow me to contradict that I would be against Stevan's
suggestion to include this Journal tag, being inspired by an underlying
idea that journals will vanish at some point in time.  Although I have
my personal opinion on the matter, I would never go as far as to
restrict a metadata scheme to reflect my very personal opinion.  Quite
to the contrary: all of you have seen that I used SFX to link eprints
with the established journal system, meaning that I do have a sense of
reality.

All of this is left for the group to decide upon.

greetings

herbert