[Orechem] Our tenuous Dec. 5/6 meeting in the UK -- PLEASE READ!!

Alex Wade Alex.Wade at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 17 17:15:16 EST 2009

Telcon works for me as well.   ---Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: orechem-bounces at openarchives.org [mailto:orechem-bounces at openarchives.org] On Behalf Of Carl Lagoze
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:09 PM
To: orechem at openarchives.org
Subject: [Orechem] Our tenuous Dec. 5/6 meeting in the UK -- PLEASE READ!!

(Pardon the long note, but please read to end)

Hi all,

I know you most be getting sick of my endless messages, but pity the poor nominal "project manager".

My vision of an end-of-first year all-project meeting on December 5/6 seems to getting dimmer.  The roster so far is as follows:

Cambridge
	- Jim Downing (yes)
	- Peter Murray Rust  (no answer)

Cornell
	- Carl Lagoze (yes, of course)
	- Theresa Velden (no)

Indiana
	- Marlon Pierce (yes)
	- Geoffrey Fox (no)

Penn State
	- Lee Giles (no)
	- Prasenjit Mitra (no)
	- Na Li (no)
	- Karl Mueller (maybe but reluctant)

Southampton
	- Simon Coles (yes)
	- Jeremy Frey (maybe)
	- Mark Borkum (yes)

Microsoft
	- Lee Dirks (no)
	- Alex Wade (unknown)

I had considered this an important meeting for a number of reasons:

- We have been working together now for a year and we need to review progress
- We are in the midst of a substantive interoperability experiment that will 1) require a number of iterations to get right 2) hopefully set a firm foundation for our second  year of work
- We need to plan our second year and come to agreement on what final project goals we want to work towards.

I know we are all weary of travel, especially over the holiday period. And all of us have lots else to do.  But I do consider meetings essential for progress  and it is only fair to locate the next meeting in the UK.  Our alternatives are then:

- Cancel the meeting and proceed by teleconference
- Go ahead with the meeting and hope we can make maximal progress with a combination of f2f people and skyped in people.
- Try to find another date - I don't have a lot of hope for this given the approaching holiday period.  I myself would have a hard time fitting it on another time through January.

I NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS ASAP!!! The Southampton folks need to finalize logistics and those planning to travel need to make plans.  Please offer your thoughts so we can make a decision NO LATER THAN FRIDAY!

Carl