[Orechem] ORE to support Chemistry Extraction

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 8 05:39:31 EDT 2009

Following Bill and my initial excursions into chemistry extraction I'd
like to suggest we devote some time to sketching out an ORE design for
supporting this process.

I think that the confluence of groups and technology in this project
jumps us ahead of the world in what is an area of great interest. It is
also clear that unless it is supported by an ontological approach it
won't succeed - most of what is currently done is trivial and messy
(lexical identification of potential chemicals (NER) and conversion to
"structures" (N2S)). Although this works OK for sub branches of
chemistry it's broken for large areas. A major problem is that it does
not distinguish between molecules and substances and sub-problems are
that some substances are mutatble and heterogeneous. Although Pubchem
has a well designed approached most databases (e.g. Chemspider) are
confounded by this fallacy. Although ChEBI is a worthy first essay at a
lexicon/thesaurus for chemistry its ontology is recognized to be broken.

I suggest we concentrate on high-throughput extraction of information
reported for organic chemical syntheses.

It has the advantages that it's important, tractable and has a good
implicit ontology. In essence a reported synthesis combines the following:
  * a target "molecule" M with a connection table (graph) G
  * Properties (P1...Pn) of a substance S
  * an assertion that S is composed of many identical Ms.
  * assertions that observations O1...On are consistent with expected
properties P1...Pn of M (usually spectroscopic). It is normally
difficult to predict properties of S reliably.
  * a recipe (P) for making M from M0, M1 ... under conditions C0, C1...
using reaction R.

In general M, G and R are unknown or unreported and only accessible
through their data and metadata and linguistic environment.

In such a report there is both ambiguity and redundancy. It is therefore
critical to use ontological methods including not only provenance but
also confidence.

There is almost never a clear statement of the connection table (graph
G) of M. This may change if journals include InChIs. In the absence of G
we can deduce it from:
  * a crystal structure X (very high confidence, but probably only 5%
occurrence).
  * a chemical name N. I am hoping somewhere in the region 50-70% recall
and 98% accuracy
  * a vector diagram V of the connection table G. I expect ca 25% recall
and 95% accuracy.
  * the spectroscopic properties (P0...Pn) This is a common
undergradutae exercise for simply molecules.

This information should contain redundancy and, in good cases will
reinforce each other. In others it allows us to make good guesses about
M-C which are further constrained by P0...Pn and R. A typical example of
constraints in R is "M1 was treated with acetic anhydride to give M2".
This would normally add one or more Acetyl groups (CH3-C(=O)-) to the
structure, each adding C2H2O to the formula). Thus even if we didn't
know the structure of M0 or M1 but did know their formulae we could see
if they were consistent. Similarly we would expect acetyl groups in the
NMR and IR spectra of the M2.

All this gives us a very exciting area indeed in which to apply
ontologies. Nico Adams (copied) has created the tools which can support
this. We propose that PSU and Cambridge create a system to extract N, X,
V, C, O, P from  thousands of current published syntheses and to attempt
to deduce their "structures" (G). Where that can be done we can also try
to extract R (as CML).

We shall need to agree a means of adding confidence to our triples.
Later we shall need a means of chaining these confidences.

We should not underestimate the difficulty of getting a transportable
and re-usable workflow for this. Probably the main problem is the
heterogenity of the tools - PSU is very UNIX-oriented - Cambridge tends
to use a Java framework. Tools like ps2edit may have platform-dependent
problems and anything to do with PDF is a nightmare...