[OAI-implementers] validation of OAI response

Timo Pröscholdt timo at proescholdt.de
Wed Apr 14 12:01:32 EDT 2010

Hello,

the XMLSchema at http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/OAI-PMH.xsd
requires strict validation for the content of <setDescription> in a
reply to a ListSets request, while allowing arbitrary namespaces.

I'm wondering how one goes about validating such XML. It is clear that
one would validate against OAI-PMH.xsd, but in order to validate the
content of <setDescription> one would also have to load the
corresponding XMLschema. Since the namespace can be anything it can
obviously not be imported into OAI-PMH.xsd.
Is one supposed to fetch the XMLschema from the supplied schemaLocation
before validating?

The background of my question is that I'm tracking interoperability
issues between two OAI implementations. (joai,genoetwork). joai returns
the attached reply, which does not validate against OAI-PMH.xsd.

any hints would be very much appreciated
thanks
Timo