[OAI-implementers] DIY OAI: Allowing anyone to be a data provider

Farrell,Gabriel gsf24 at drexel.edu
Wed Sep 26 16:23:47 EDT 2007

Hi Gavin,

Just saw the following message.  If you're interested in such things,
and by the looks of it you are, you might want to stop by #code4lib on
freenode.  Lots of people in there dealing with data-transmission
standards and information-access challenges in all kinds of
environments.  There's also a pretty active code4lib mailing list.

My own opinion is if you're interested in opening up your data via OAI,
by all means, go for it!  That's what the OAI plugins were created for.
It's not clear from sites like oaister.org and openarchives.org what
their requirements are for a data contributor, and having been involved
only within an institutional setting I don't know about "the average Dr.
Joe", but I think you'll find as long as you provide an OAI-conforming
repository you won't run into a lot of friction.

Happy hacking,
Gabe

--
Gabriel Farrell