[OAI-implementers] repository auto-discovery

Robert Forkel robert at livingreviews.org
Sun Nov 19 16:39:10 EST 2006

On 11/19/06, Herbert Van de Sompel <herbertv at lanl.gov> wrote:

> If I am not mistaken, I think a major immediate aim that you have is to
> make your journal article metadata Zotero-extractable from your HTML
> pages.  In this case you might want to check out the COinS work
> <http://ocoins.info/>, by some of the same people who did unAPI.  If I
> am not mistaken Zotero eats COinS. The COinS stuff also integrates
> nicely with browser plug-ins to point to OpenURL Resolvers.
>
> the problem with coins is, that a URL may just be too short for all the
metadata - in particular if the abstract is part of it (see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208427 ); and OpenURL resolvers are a
non-issue in the case where you're already surfing the fulltext of an
article.
i do think unAPI is a good fit, in particular because it can also be used
for non-xml formats like json; but as Ed pointed out, adding a link element
to point to the oai pmh baseUrl would be a quick win.
regards,
robert