[OAI-implementers] Automatically gathering the full-text of eprints

herbert van de sompel herbertv@lanl.gov
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:47:19 -0700

Dear Andy,

Thanks a lot for your thoughtful comments.  I provide some feedback, here,
hoping that we can find some time to discuss all of this with representatives
from the community in front of a much needed blackboard (whiteboard?).

First, let me say that this mail isn't at all about trying to prove you wrong.
  Quite to the contrary. This is about conveying my perception of matters,
hoping to further our joint insights in this rather complicated domain.

Second, I feel that your FRBR-related comments, while very legitimate, are on
quite the opposite end of the scale of your pragmatic, useful hack.  I need to
take some time to try and think about how much or how little a discussion
related to making content accessible to service providers in the OAI-PMH
framework should get involved with this.  At this point I am puzzled.  For
example, I am not sure how much Google cares about the work/manifestation issue.
  Google wants a FRBR Item.

Third, I must emphasize that I am very pleased to hear that - in principle - you
find the notion of shipping modelled representations (DIDL, METS, ...) of
resources through the OAI-PMH acceptable.  Below, I hope to give some more
indications as to why I feel that is indeed acceptable/appropriate in the
context of the OAI-PMH.

=> Your W3C TAG resource/representation perspective is very helpful.  Building
on your insights, and with some stretching, one could distinguish the following
levels:

level 1: W3C.resource ~ FRBR.work ~ OAI-PMH.resource

level 2: W3C.representation ~ FRBR.manifestation ~ OAI-PMH.record

=> Comments I want to make at this point:

* The OAI-PMH doesn't really say that an OAI-PMH.resource sits at level 1, and I
am not even sure it matters a lot for this discussion because the action we are
interested in is at level 2 at which the OAI-PMH.resource clearly does not sit.

* Putting OAI-PMH.record at the level of W3C.representation makes a lot of
sense, especially since v.2.0 of the protocol in which OAI-PMH.records have
gained autonomy by getting their own datestamp.

* I dare to suggest that OAI-PMH.record ~ OAI-PMH.metadata ~ structured data
pertaining to an OAI-PMH.resource.  I dare to make this statement because the
OAI-PMH has this built-in notion that equals metadata to XML.  So I feel it is
actually constructive for our reasoning to get rid of the term 'metadata' with
its numerous and in many cases vague/loaded interpretations, and consider an
OAI-PMH.record to be structured data pertaining to an OAI-PMH.resource.  That is
a quite unambiguous definition.

* I think OAI-PMH.item doesn't matter in this discussion as it merely is a
gateway to OAI-PMH.records.  I feel we can loose that term too for our discussion.

=> I really don't think that OAI-PMH.identifier matters in any of this.  While
the OAI-PMH.identifier is a crucial key for harvesting, it doesn't need to have
anything to do with any 'real' identifiers, nor with the real world data. Agreed
that in some implementations - for practical reasons - it does, but there is no
reason for it to.  So we should not be distracted by it.  If we really need to
accord meaning to OAI-PMH.identifier, we could consider it to be the identifier
shared by all W3C.representations of a W3C.resource (~OAI-PMH.resource), as it
acts as the gateway to all OAI-PMH.records pertaining to a OAI-PMH.resource.
Even in this interpretation, the OAI-PMH.identifier doesn't come close to
becoming the identifier of the OAI-PMH.resource, irrespective of what the exact
nature of the OAI-PMH.record is.
- Cf. the W3C TAG distinction between URI for resource and URI for representation.
- Cf URI for resource == doi / URI for representation is OAI-PMH request using
unrelated OAI-PMH.identifier

=> So, I think we lost quite some overhead in the above.  We are down to
OAI-PMH.resource (rather undefined, how nice) and OAI-PMH.record (well defined,
as being structured data pertaining to OAI-PMH.resource) to play with.  I think
we can all go along with an interpretation that an oai_dc record is a
W3C.representation of an OAI-PMH.resource.  I trust we would also agree this is
the case for a special-purpose QDC record that 'models' the OAI-PMH.resource,
and in doing so includes some links to datastreams of which that
OAI-PMH.resource consists.  The step to a complex object solution (METS, DIDL,
...) is really small from here as those indeed provide such by-reference
technique to include datastreams, as well as by-value techniques to do so.  In
addtion, some complex object approaches actually have a data model so that the
required 'modelling' boils down to mapping a specific world view to the existing
data model.

=> I very much share your opinion that directly shipping a
datastream/representation of the resource in an 'unmodelled' manner smells
really fishy, as it makes us loose the 'structured data pertaining to the
resource' life buoy.

Jeez, this took me ages to write.  And now it is my turn to be proven wrong ;-)

cheers

herbert