[OAI-implementers] Automatically gathering the full-text of eprints

herbert van de sompel herbertv@lanl.gov
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:54:55 -0700

Tim Brody wrote:

> We've done a preliminary implementation of this at Southampton for:
> eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk
> and
> eprints.soton.ac.uk
>
> It took me about an hour to do, I suspect Chris did it in much less time
> :-)

I trust that the amount of seconds it takes to implement a solution is not the
only evaluation criterion.  I very much agree it is an important one, and it is
one that has always played a significant role in designing the OAI-PMH and
related specifications.  But it seems to me that there are other criteria such
as meeting functional requirements that play.  I have, obviously, not seen the
list of requirements.  I do understand the goals, however.  And, as described in
my previous mail, I can think of some possible requirements related to those
goals that may not be met by the proposed solution.

This consideration clearly allows for alternative solutions to the problem than
the one based on complex objects, which I described in my previous mail.  I
suggested the complex object path because we have done quite some work in that
realm, and because that work has urged us to think in a general way about the
content-harvesting problem.

cheers

herbert