[OAI-implementers] Requesting a part of a record possible wit h OAI-OMH?

Michael Nelson mln@cs.odu.edu
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:45:30 -0500 (EST)

Achim,

as you've now realized, "there's more than one way to do it" (tm).

my opinion:

1.  if all you ever want is "title" and maybe 2-3 other fields, take
Naomi's suggestion and offer those a "mini" metadataPrefix's.  this places
the burden of filtering your metadata file on the data provider.

2a.  if you don't always know which field you want, and could possibly ask
for any of the 300+, then creating a couple of light-weight
metadataPrefixs is not the solution.  You could use an existing
service like ERRoL to do the stripping, as per Jeff's suggestion.

2b. if you don't want to depend on an external service (for either
technical or management reasons), you could construct your own service
that generally extracts paths from metadata records.  I think this is
Hussein's suggestion.

I see these options in increasing weight.  Not knowing any more about your
application that what you described, I would seriously consider #1 before
moving to #2a or #2b.

regards,

Michael

----
Michael L. Nelson mln@cs.odu.edu http://www.cs.odu.edu/~mln/
Dept of Computer Science, Old Dominion University, Norfolk VA 23529
+1 757 683 6393 +1 757 683 4900 (f)