[OAI-implementers] Sets in OAI-PMH and DSpace

Hussein Suleman hussein@cs.uct.ac.za
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:04:21 +0200

hi

here are my thoughts on this ...

hypothetically, how about if think of the OAI-PMH as a transaction
distribution framework. i.e., for each data provider to maintain every
archive change of state as a transaction and then translate these into
instantaneous views of the archive whenever OAI-PMH requests arrive.
(somewhat db-like i guess)

now, while i know lots of people would like a deterministic solution to
the "problem", i think complete solutions such as what i just outlined
go against the fundamental philosophy that OAI-PMH should be easy for
data providers to implement (and possibly requiring more effort from
service providers).

service providers SHOULD be willing to sift through records to find what
they need - i am sure this was discussed many moons ago ... that said,
NDLTD currently uses the approach that Robert has suggested as an option
- no set structure at all! simply because the amount of work necessary
to come up with and manage meaningful sets is non-trivial and it is so
much more important to share the data in the first place.

if the sets are not incredibly obvious (e.g., a thesis will always be a
thesis!) i would not use sets - instead encode what is essentially
"attribute" information into your metadata directly (in whatever formats
you support) so service providers can sift through records on the basis
of this information.

please let us stay away from any practices that make OAI-PMH
implementation more difficult for data providers.

ttfn,
----hussein