[OAI-implementers] OAI validation problem

Young,Jeff jyoung@oclc.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 17:22:29 -0400

I think I found a hole in the OAI validation mechanisms. I believe the
contents of the <metadata> element should be required to have an
xsi:schemaLocation attribute to make it easier to identify the schema for
the data. Without it, harvesters are forced to use the
/oai2:OAI-PMH/oai2:request/@metadataPrefix value and look it up in the
ListMetadataFormats response, which is more trouble than having it
immediately available as an attribute.

The examples in the OAI protocol document do show it as an attribute, but
apparently the Repository Explorer and the Registration validation available
on the OAI site don't check for it.

Jeff

---
Jeffrey A. Young
Consulting Software Engineer
Office of Research, Mail Code 710
OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
6565 Frantz Road
Dublin, OH   43017-3395
www.oclc.org

Voice:	614-764-4342