[OAI-implementers] questions

Thomas G. Habing thabing@uiuc.edu
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:52:00 -0600

Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> EAD to OAI DC questions:
>
> Is there an EAD to OAI DC transform available?  If not, where are the
> EAD to OAI DC mappings mentioned in the "Implementation Guidelines for the
> OAI-PMH" document?
>

> Endeavor Voyager:
>
> Has anybody configured an oai provider on top of a Voyager system?  It looks
> like ZMARCO may be the best tool for the job.  Thanks for any tips.

Hi Jiann-Ming,

We at the UIUC have developed a mapping of EAD to OAI both for the
collection level and for the subordinate component levels.  You can find an
XSLT that implements that mapping at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uilib-ead/.  Chris Prom and I also presented
a paper on the subject which can be found at
http://dli.grainger.uiuc.edu/publications/jcdl2002/p14-prom.pdf

Chris is also actively engaged on additional research on this subject; some
of which can be found at http://web.library.uiuc.edu/ahx/workpap/

Regarding ZMARCO, of which I am the author: unfortunately we have not been
able to get it to work with Voyager, at least not our Voyager implementation
at UIUC.  This is primarily because of a limit of 10,000 records per result
set that Voyager has.  If you wanted to mess with the ZMARCO code you might
be able to get it to work.  However, we have not been very successful in
porting ZMARCO to other Z39.50 servers.  At one point we did have it
experimentally working with the UIUC's old DRA system (and some other DRA
systems), but alas we are no longer running DRA at UIUC.

If you would like to correspond regarding ideas for getting ZMARCO to work,
I would be happy to exchange ideas.  We still have a research project here
in which we are exploring interoperability issues between Z39.50 and OAI.

Kind regards,
	Tom
--
Thomas Habing
Research Programmer, Digital Library Projects