[OAI-implementers] OAI identifiers

Hussein Suleman hussein@cs.uct.ac.za
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:17:49 +0200

hi

a random observation ...

i just looked at the schema for oai-identifier and realised that, yes,
it will only work for "oai" identifiers (something i didnt realise
myself until now). two of the fields seem to be required but with fixed
values, while the sampleIdentifier embeds additional copies of the
repositoryIdentifier, schema and delimiter.

in future, for network bandwidth, minimalism and normalisation reasons,
lets try to avoid this unnecessary duplication ... i know people will
say bandwidth is cheap but that argument only works if u're living in
some countries of the world and definitely not in south africa :)

on a different note, Naomi made a comment about URLs being unusual as
oai identifiers. i just wanted to add that it is not inconceivable to
create an oai identifier by prepending "oai:<repositoryId>:" to a URL to
denote the item describing a URL-accesssible resource. if i am not
mistaken, PhysNet did (or still does) this. it is a neat trick to expose
a collection of web pages as oai records, thereby enabling you to
integrate web pages with other oai collections in local service providers!

ttfn,
----hussein