[OAI-implementers] OAI-PMH & SOAP

Walter Underwood wunder@inktomi.com
Sun, 03 Feb 2002 16:05:27 -0800

--On Sunday, February 3, 2002 5:30 PM +0100 Thomas Place <T.W.Place@kub.nl> wrote:
> Walter Underwood wrote:
>
>  > In a safe list protocol, the client requests a number of results,
>  > and the server is allowed to return fewer. That way, both sides are
>  > safe.
>
> This is already available in a comparable protocol under development
> by the Z39.50 community: SRU - Search/Retrieve URI service
> (http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing/srw.html#sru). SRU is SRW
> mentioned by Herbert in his last message, where SOAP is replaced by HTTP.

SRU/SRW/Zing is still a moving target. There is a quite a bit of
discussion about the purpose of that protocol. The direction so
far looks promising.

My point is that the current OAI list design is unsafe, not that
I would like it to work differently.

LDAP, SRU, and every web search engine use the model I suggested.
The model in OAI is dangerous to clients.

> I would applaud if the Z39.50 (http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing)
> and the OAi initiatives were coordinated.

Yes, though I would be happy if OAI focussed on metadata access.
General search is a different problem.

wunder
--
Walter R. Underwood