[OAI-implementers] OAI-PMH & SOAP

Thomas Place T.W.Place@kub.nl
Sun, 03 Feb 2002 17:30:26 +0100

Walter Underwood wrote:

[...]

 > In a safe list protocol, the client requests a number of results,
 > and the server is allowed to return fewer. That way, both sides are
 > safe.

This is already available in a comparable protocol under development by
the Z39.50 community: SRU - Search/Retrieve URI service
(http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing/srw.html#sru). SRU is SRW
mentioned by Herbert in his last message, where SOAP is replaced by HTTP.

I would applaud if the Z39.50 (http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing) and
the OAi initiatives were coordinated.

In one of my implementations of OAi-PHM it is possible to use a query
attribute in the HTTP request. The resumptiontoken implementation is
based on a already existing result set mechanism. These are the elements
needed to implement a SRU server.Adding SOAP and the SRU server is a SRW
server.

My suggestion is that SRW becomes (in time) a richer version of OAI-PHM
(or that OAi-PHM becomes a subset of SRW).

Thomas

--
Thomas W. Place (T.W.Place@kub.nl)
Tilburg University, PO Box 90153, 5000 LE Tilburg, the Netherlands