[OAI-implementers] default metadataPrefix

Young,Jeff jyoung@oclc.org
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:30:29 -0500

Thanks for the pointer to the previous discussion, Michael. It's helpful to
see the history behind this. Since I missed the discussion the first time
around, though, I'd like to add some comments to the record.

I agree that OAI protocol shouldn't be tied too closely to oai_dc. For
example, I'm thinking about using the OAI protocol for distributing name
authority data. Since Dublin Core is a bibliographic element set, oai_dc is
almost completely inappropriate for that purpose. I'm not saying we couldn't
support oai_dc requests, only that the result would be more or less
meaningless. Given that, I suppose I was arguing that communities should be
free to specify their own arbitrary default format to be used when the
metadataPrefix isn't specified.

Your suggestion that I could treat metadataPrefix as optional in our
implementation was tempting, but I want anyone with an OAI server to be able
to participate in our distributed network.

In my hypothetical scenario, I dismissed doing string substitutions because
they don't work well for my real world problem. I don't want to drag this
discussion down with details, except to note that it has to do with
duplicate resolution of records and the persistence of obsolete OAI
GetRecord URLs. As it happens, though, I had an epiphany last night and
realized another solution to my problem. The bottom line is, I can withdraw
my request for making metadataPrefix optional. Thanks to the group, though,
for watching over my shoulder while I figured this out. :-)

Jeff