[OAI-implementers] MARC extended character set to Unicode

Caroline Arms caar@loc.gov
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:43:44 -0400 (EDT)

Recently released by the MARC Standards Office: a new version of
  charconv.sgm
the SGML/XML table that converts characters used in MARC21 records to
Unicode characters.  I understand that it takes advantage of many new
pre-composed characters.

Find a link on
  http://www.loc.gov/marc/marcsgml.html

Direct link is
  ftp://ftp.loc.gov/pub/marcdtd/charconv.sgm

LC plans to update the character conversion used for generating records
for harvesting through the Open Archives Metadata Harvesting protocol
soon.  Separately, I will forward a couple of messages from a colleague
(with his permission).  They discuss some experience with fonts, MARC
character sets, and Unicode that might be of interest to some of you
dealing with special characters.  Others will probably want to hit the
delete key quickly.

       Caroline Arms                                caar@loc.gov
       National Digital Library Program
       Library of Congress