[OAI-implementers] XML Schema for OAI compliance with NSDLharvesting

Carl Lagoze lagoze@cs.cornell.edu
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:54:12 -0500

Rachel,

Thank you for your input here.  Your knowledge of the application
profile concept is certainly better than mine and I look forward to your
input helping come up with a satisfactory solution.

I understand that, as you say, an application profile is defined at the
schema level and that instance data for each respective application
profile is conformant with the schema.

That is fine for intra-profile interoperability.  Our problem in OAI is
that, as you know, we would like to establish a modicum of cross-domain
interoperability.  Therein lies the discomfort of loosing up our
mandatory DC defined by a reasonably simple schema, as in
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/1.1/dc.xsd, to dc following application
schema.  As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, interoperability
amongst application profiles, is uncharted territory.

That said, for the OAI to continue with the concept of a "single
required metadata format for interoperability" it appears that good old
simple dc or some other suitable cross-domain metadata format (not
embedded in multipel application profiles) is the only feasible choice.
BTW, it could be argued that the whole notion of a "single required
metadata format for interoerability" is in itself a somewhat quixotic
comcept given the universe of things to describe, but that is another
discussion.

Carl