[OAI-implementers] ABOUT & Schemas & metadataPrefix

Thomas G. Habing thabing@uiuc.edu
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 14:30:08 -0500

Hi all,

We are in the process of evaluating a commercial product called Turbo XML
which has some support for conversion from DTDs (XML and SGML) to XML
Schemas.  The product info can be found at http://www.extensibility.com/.

Attached below is a short report from Robert Ferrer, another developer on
our project, relating his experiences with the product:

-----

XML Authority is part of a suite of tools known collectively as Turbo
XML.  I found it most useful in using SGML DTDs to jumpstart the creation
of schemas.  It offers quite a few options in converting one format (DTD,
for example) into another format (XSD, for example).

The Console component offers batch validation of XML instance and schema
files.  XML Authority facilitates the authoring of a schema, and XML
Instance facilitates the creation of an XML document using its schema as a
template.

I found the suite of tools useful.  The jumpstart feature is very
useful.  However, once the initial draft of the schema is generated via
jumpstart, I preferred using a text editor for editing, and relying on
Console to validate the file.  The tools need to be better integrated into
a single interface.  I found changes that I made to the file from one
component are not easily registered by another component.  I found it
necessary to reload the document after I made a change.

XML Turbo has good potential.  I understand that they'll be releasing a new
integrated version in the future.