[UPS] Problems/Comments with Santa Fe Metadata Set

Mark Doyle doyle@aps.org
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:54:50 -0500

Bob asked me to forward this to the whole list.

Cheers,
Mark

Begin forwarded message:

Mark wrote:

>Exactly. My point is that there exist natural URLs which may give enhanced
>services to users. It may be that some repositories will just give the Dienst
>display URL and be done with it. But I submit that the majority of
>repositories will function not just as faceless warehouses, but will also
>present their own particular view of the world, will have a persistent URL
>mechanism for accessing that view, and some set of users will find benefit in
>the repository's view. I think you need to change your vocabulary a bit. Try
>"natural" or "canonical" rather than "correct."
>
>All that said, I might be persuaded that the display ID doesn't have to be
>mandatory, but I think the act of a repository commiting to persistent
>nautral URLs  (i.e., the notion of making them readable as well as writable)
>is one of the foundational principles for making them function as true
>repositories. Thus, I don't think any repository should choose to omit it.
>Nor do I think any overlay should throw away this item of information if it
>is provided.

I would second Mark's remarks .

As yet another example,

1. http://econwpa.wustl.edu/ewp-game/9904001.abs  is the canonical or natural URL.

One might see the same meta data displayed as:

2. http://ideas.uqam.ca/ideas/data/Papers/wpawuwpga9904001.html

3. http://netec.mcc.ac.uk/WoPEc/data/Papers/wpawuwpga9904001.html

I have argued and lost to the RePEc community that 1. ought to be available
to users even if they are seeing 2. or 3. (specifically because 1. offers to email
the paper while 2. and 3. don't, along with other fluff on 1.)

Similarly Mark argued for xxx.lanl.gov in favor of (or in addition to)
the Dienst display due to different formats for the paper itself.

For an archive that has no display (and RePEc collects from many that don't),
then display id should be NONE - indicating that the archive has no particular
canonical or natural URL for displaying the data.

My two cents.  Bob

--

	#             Economics Working Paper Archive             #