[UPS] FW: letter of intent on Open Archives Initiative, Dec. 1 deadline if you want research funding

fox@vt.edu fox@vt.edu
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:28:36 -0500

Hi! I received a msg from the mailer for our list, and guess that
some of you did not receive the communication below. Please forgive
me if I've sent you 2 copies. Regards, Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Fox, Edward
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 12:26 AM
To: 'caar@loc.gov'; 'Kurt Bollacker'; 'Leslie Carr'; 'clifford@cni.org';
'Mark Doyle'; 'Dale_flecker@harvard.edu'; 'french@virginia.edu';
'Michael Friedman'; 'Paul M. Gherman'; 'Paul Ginsparg'; 'Stevan Harnad';
'Thomas Krichel'; 'Carl Lagoze'; 'Steve Lawrence'; 'Rick Luce';
'kmaly@storm.cs.odu.edu'; 'wnm@cs.virginia.edu'; 'nelson michael l';
'John Ober'; 'bparks@wuecona.wustl.edu'; 'mas4n@virginia.edu';
'tls@virginia.edu'; 'herbert.vandesompel@rug.ac.be'; 'Eric F. Van de
Velde'; 'djw@mellon.org'; 'Ken Weiss'; 'carroll@cs.vt.edu';
'downeyg@vt.edu'; 'jayjon@vt.edu'; 'gailmac@vt.edu'; 'eaton@vt.edu'
Subject: RE: letter of intent on Open Archives Initiative, Dec. 1
deadline if you want research funding

Hi!

I hope you have received the Letter of Intent for the NSF ITR program
solicitation, 99-167, that I just submitted.

As mentioned in a variety of messages earlier, I have sent this so
that there may be additional support for the Open Archives Initiative.

My submission aimed to satisfy NSF requirements, to draw on the comments
sent to me by several members of the group, and to move us forward toward
the NSF deadlines of
  * Jan. 5, 2000 for pre-proposal
  * April 17, 2000 for full proposal

While I continue to offer passing on the coordination of this to Paul
Ginsparg or others (if such fits in with the group wishes and NSF
policies / preferences), I'm happy to continue to push forward if that
is desired.

As suggested by Carl Lagoze, I'll proceed under the suggestion that
the project be technically focused and tightly managed, which I believe
can be done through close cooperation of teams at Virginia Tech and
University of Virginia (both involved in NCSTRL since its inception,
as well as in NDLTD; various groups at UVA have been closely working with
Carl to enhance the Cornell software, such as Fedora). Of course we hope
all partners will support the project, at least continuing the effort
planned at Santa Fe, thus providing significant in-kind cost sharing
as well as a rich testbed environment.  If groups feel they can make
substantive research contributions, that will strengthen the proposal, and
are in a position to accept NSF support, we are open to specific brief
proposals for part of the budget and a share of the research work. These
must be submitted to me by Dec. 1 in draft form if we are to meet the
Jan. 5 pre-proposal deadline with a credible document.

I hope this stimulates discussion and action.  I have no ego involved in
this matter, so be frank.  We have a great group, and I just want our
very important effort to move forward quickly, with strong support.

Regards, Ed