[UPS] Re-naming UPS

Stevan Harnad harnad@coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 10:16:03 +0000 (GMT)

> From: "Eric F. Van de Velde" <evdv@library.caltech.edu>
>
> In the interest of moving forward, bringing
> this to a close, and moving on to more important
> discussions, I propose a vote on the following
> alternatives:
>
> 	1. Kepler
> 	2. Opcit or OpCit
> 	3. none of the above (if this wins, the
> 		two above are eliminated and we
> 		can have a discussion on the
> 		acronyms)

This is a rather biassed ballot, so I vote, in order:

3. (in favour of INTERoperable ePRINT archiveS: INTERPRINTS):

Self explanatory, for now and for ever (and nothing whatsoever wrong
with the word "prints" in it, any more than there is in calling a
graphic pict file a "picture": we are trying to update perceptions and
practises, not to reinforce them: We had preprints, reprints and
offprints; we now have eprints; we now want to head for interprints).

If forced into a choice between 1 and 2, then 2, OpCit is much better.

Stevan Harnad                     harnad@cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Cognitive Science    harnad@princeton.edu
Department of Electronics and     phone: +44 23-80 592-582
Computer Science                  fax:   +44 23-80 592-865
University of Southampton         http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton            http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM