[UPS] Re-naming UPS

Eric F. Van de Velde evdv@library.caltech.edu
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:54:09 -0800

I haven't seen activity for the past two days.
I guess nobody really wants to spend much time
on naming. Perfectly understandable.
However, let me propose to narrow down the list
by eliminating acronyms.

By avoiding acronyms, we avoid a prolonged
discussion on a precise definition of this
initiative.	Moreover, most acronyms lose their
meaning over time anyway. In addition, many
acronyms are already in use (RAI, IRA,...)

This leaves only two choices among those already
proposed:

Kepler
Opcit or OpCit

I do not know the motivation for Kepler. Will
the proposer please explain?
The domain name www.kepler.edu SEEMS to be
available.

Opcit comes from the library abbreviation
for opere citato, meaning "in the cited work".
This has a nice ring to it, is to the point.
The domain name www.opcit.net is available.
The domain name www.opcit.edu SEEMS to be
available.

In the interest of moving forward, bringing
this to a close, and moving on to more important
discussions, I propose a vote on the following
alternatives:

	1. Kepler
	2. Opcit or OpCit
	3. none of the above (if this wins, the
		two above are eliminated and we
		can have a discussion on the
		acronyms)

I volunteer to tally the votes if noone ojects
to holding this vote to begin with....
(Difficult if a discussion does not have a
chair and no way to assess a consensus...)
--Eric.