[OAI-implementers] Autentication in OAI-PMH

Filipe Correia fcorreia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 06:41:11 EDT 2010

Dear OAI Implementers,

I need your advice!

We're using OAI-PMH on a project, to make our records available to
third parties, but a new use-case has come up, and I'm starting to
think maybe OAI-PMH is not the best tool for the job. Please tell me
what you think:

The overall idea is that not all harvesters are to be considered
equal. By default harvesters should have access to a specific subset
of the data, that is public to everyone. But some harvesters should be
able to harvest a wider range of data, including both "public" and
"private" records. These "private" records are records that are still
being worked upon, or they have sensible institutional information
that is not to be made available to the "world". This suggests that
we'd need to provide an authentication mechanism of some sort, and
filter records according to each user. However, I'm not finding any
reference on the specs to Authentication.

Any help appreciated. Do you think OAI-PMH is applicable in this scenario?

Cheers!

--
Filipe Figueiredo Correia
PhD Student @ FEUP