[OAI-implementers] DIY OAI: Allowing anyone to be a data provider

CLAUDIO BARCHESI claudio.barchesi at iscima.cnr.it
Fri Oct 12 06:47:41 EDT 2007

Hello, about a practical Static Repository / Static Repository Gateway
implementation, I would put in evidence the results of our experience.

Searching Google for "OAISISTEMA" it is possible to find some information
about our SR/SRG solution that allows Archeologia e Calcolatori journal to
be OAI data provider since 2005. Our implementation that is completely OAI
conformant (OAIster harvests the complete collection of our resources) has
been also designed with the target of the widest diffusion of our metadata
on the web. An interesting study, on "Search engine Coverage of the OAI-PMH
corpus" performed by Los Alamos National Lab (Mc Cown F., Liu X. et al.,
2006)  shows that "Archeologia e Calcolatori" repository content is
completely indexed by Yahoo, Google and MSN, with a 100% success rate. That
means that our target has been succesfully hit.

In my opinion, the static repository idea, with a better consideration and
support (what about the creation of some public SR gateway for a larger
support for such a technology?) could be a really solution for the  OA
paradigm diffusion: in particular to support author's self archiving as well
as small institutions and small journals access to OAI.

The URL of Archeologia  e Calcolatori journal wich is edited by CNR  is
http://soi.cnr.it/archcalc/. OAISISTEMA software solution is based on a
simple Access database mapping Dublin Core elements on a relational set of
tables. A Visual basic script creates XML static repository file. Other
additional services (to support search engine crawlers and a local search of
the repository on our website) has been created by ASP and XSL.

Best regards,

Claudio Barchesi

Istituto di Studi sulle Civiltà Italiche e del Mediterraneo Antico

Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche - Rome - Italy.

Claudio.Barchesi at iscima.cnr.it