[OAI-implementers] OAI and Z39.50 or SRU

Leslie Johnston johnston at virginia.edu
Tue May 22 12:57:32 EDT 2007

At 05:09 AM 5/22/2007, Rob Tice wrote:
>Hi Leslie
>
>There have been several replies to your initial posting all of which have a
>slightly different take on your requirements.
>
>Just for clarification.
>
>Are you looking to take an OAI feed and make its contents additionally
>available as a Z39.50/SRW/SRU target using the OAI feed itself to populate
>the Z39.50 system?

Yes, this is precisely what I am interested in doing.  I have an OAI
data provider already that exposes oai-dc records (with MODS
planned), and I would like to potentially use this data to
additionally populate a Z39.50 system or gateway.

It seemed worth researching, but it's not looking like there are any
tools to do this, at least not anything near production-ready.

>Or are you looking to modify the underlying OAI database (data source) to
>support Z39.50/SRW/SRU?

No, I definitely do not want to do that.  My data source is XML,
programmatically generated from many different originating source
metadata formats.