[OAI-implementers] OAI and Z39.50 or SRU

Simon Huggard Simon.Huggard at lib.monash.edu.au
Mon May 21 20:55:36 EDT 2007

Hi all. If the Z39.50 resource is able to be queried as a SQL database,
the VTLS library system vendor have produced a thing called "Vortex".
It's written for their Virtua library system (which we don't have by the
way). I've downloaded it and briefly looked at it, and it looks like
you'd be able to modify it to allow OAI harvesting from a MARC database
that's query-able via SQL queries. It uses some SQL queries (via Perl)
to query for sets of records from the Virtua catalogue. You might find
that you can configure it to meets your needs. It's open source, so
there's no problem with downloading and using or modifying it.

It's available at:
http://www.vtls.com/Products/vortex.shtml

Simon

Thomas G. Habing wrote:
> Leslie Johnston wrote:
>> I am now considering this same topic that was raised on this list a
>> year ago.  I'm not looking to make a Z39.50 resource available as OAI,
>> I'm wondering if I can additionally expose an existing OAI data
>> provider using Z39.50 or SRU.  It's one of many ideas we're bouncing
>> around for setting up a metasearch target for a particular collection.
>>
>> At 05:21 PM 5/27/2006, Steven Bird wrote:
>>> The LOC Z39.50 site [1] lists an OAI/Z39.50 gateway, and links to [2]
>>> (dated March 2003).  However, this latter site doesn't seem to exist
>>> any more.
>
> If it would be useful, here is a new URL for [2]:
>
> http://gita.grainger.uiuc.edu/oai_z3950/
>
> Kind regards,
>     Tom
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is an OAI gateway to Z39.50, or
>>> better still, an aggregation service over libraries [3] that exposes
>>> oai_dc records?  I'm aware of WorldCat, but it looks like there's only
>>> a one-directional flow of information from OAI to WorldCat.  Thanks
>>> for any advice.
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/profiles/profiles.html
>>> [2] http://frasier.library.uiuc.edu/research.htm
>>> [3] http://www.loc.gov/z3950/
>>>
>>> -Steven Bird

>> ------------
>> Leslie Johnston
>> Head, Digital Access Services
>> University of Virginia Library
>> http://lib.virginia.edu/digital/
>> http://lib.virginia.edu/digital/das/
>> johnston at virginia.edu

Simon Huggard
Systems Manager
Information Systems Department
Monash University Library
Monash University
Building 4, Monash University, Vic, Australia 3800
Phone: +61 3 9905 9138 Fax: + 61 3 9905 2610
Mobile: 0425 774 260 (International : +61 425 774 260)