[OAI-implementers] Dangers of OAI

Simeon Warner simeon at cs.cornell.edu
Thu Mar 22 17:41:10 EDT 2007

If someone follows the protocol you can throttle OAI requests using 503
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-repository.htm#FlowControl).
We use this at arXiv but hope to get rid of it soon as we change our
infrastructure to allow us to support OAI more efficiently. Answering OAI
requests should be quite cheap.

If someone doesn't follow the protocol then you are, as always, left
monitoring the logs and adding a rule to your firewall in extreme cases. I
don't think there will ever be any way around that.

Cheers,
Simeon