[OAI-implementers] OAI and Z39.50 or SRU

Hans-Werner Hilse hilse at sub.uni-goettingen.de
Tue Jun 19 11:09:54 EDT 2007

Hi,

and sorry for this late answer...

On Tue, 22 May 2007 12:57:32 -0400 Leslie Johnston
<johnston at virginia.edu> wrote:

> >Are you looking to take an OAI feed and make its contents
> >additionally available as a Z39.50/SRW/SRU target using the OAI feed
> >itself to populate the Z39.50 system?
>
> Yes, this is precisely what I am interested in doing.  I have an OAI
> data provider already that exposes oai-dc records (with MODS
> planned), and I would like to potentially use this data to
> additionally populate a Z39.50 system or gateway.
>
> It seemed worth researching, but it's not looking like there are any
> tools to do this, at least not anything near production-ready.

Yes, there are. The aforementioned Zebra server from Indexdata (it's
OSS, http://www.indexdata.dk/) comes with example configuration for
indexing OAI-PMH responses. It's done using either the "ALVIS" or "DOM"
filter modules (they're new as of Zebra 2), which will allow you to
customize the generated indexes by means of XSLT.

Don't hesitate to ask further questions, but if it's Zebra-specific,
better ask on the Zebra mailing list.

-hwh