[OAI-implementers] Question about sets definition

Michael Nelson mln at cs.odu.edu
Mon Jul 30 15:34:50 EDT 2007

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Tsach Moshkovits wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question regarding implementing "sets" and "md-format" :
>
> If I understood correctly, the record-id together with the md-format
> identifies the data uniquely?
>
> Meaning, looking at record "x" of format "oai_dc", must I see the same
> data whether the scope is set "A" or set "B"? or is it valid to see
> different data for the same record and format in different scope
> (something like, set "A" will contain thin oai_dc and set "B" will
> contain richer oai_dc)?

Tsach,

No, you can not legally use sets to influence the contents of the record.

One thing to remember is that GetRecord does not take the "set" argument,
so record X would have to belong to sets A & B (which is fine), but when
you do:

?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&identifier=X

there is no way to specify if you want "thin" or "thick" oai_dc version of
X.

go ahead and create separate metadata formats to handle this situation.

regards,

Michael

> TIA,
>
> Tsach Moshkovits

----
Michael L. Nelson mln at cs.odu.edu http://www.cs.odu.edu/~mln/
Dept of Computer Science, Old Dominion University, Norfolk VA 23529
+1 757 683 6393 +1 757 683 4900 (f)