[Fwd: RE: [OAI-implementers] Some OAI-PMH protocol issues]

Frederic MERCEUR Frederic.Merceur at ifremer.fr
Wed Dec 5 07:09:15 EST 2007

An answer from Jesús L. Domínguez Muriel (jdmuriel at jdmuriel.com):

Hello,

[Due to a misconfiguration of my e-mail software, I cannot post directly
to the oai-implementers list. If you find this information useful,
please feel free to post it to the list]

Regarding problems 2 and 3, there is an European initiative called
DRIVER which attempts to solve, among others, those problems.

DRIVER-conforming repositories must use certain values for date and type
DC fields, and must include open-access full-text records within a
specific OAI set. They should also implement an additional metadata
format --DIDL-, which helps locate the associated full-text files, so
that they can be easily accessed and collected.

You can find more information at http://www.driver-support.eu/en/index.html

My personal opinion is that these DRIVER guidelines should be refined
and made clearer. I would have also preferred a different metadata
format to specify associated files, because DIDL is too generic and a
bit confusing. Maybe the future OAI-ORE could be used instead of DIDL.
Anyway, it is a starting point and deserves some study.

Jesús L.Domínguez Muriel
DIGIBIS S.L.
Madrid, Spain