[OAI-implementers] Metadata in multiple languages?

David Heath david at davidheath.org
Mon Feb 13 13:50:49 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm new here so I'll just say a little about myself. I'm researching the
possibility of using OAI-PMH for internal (and maybe later external)
content sharing for http://www.oneworld.net/, which is a news portal
covering evironmental/human rights issues. I'm a freelance developer
who's been working for OneWorld for several years.

I have a specific question, which is as follows:

I have some resources which have metadata available in multiple
languages. I'd like to know what the recommended way to encode and
transfer this metadata would be, and in particular whether it is
possible with the standard oai_dc encoding. Some possibilities which I
am considering:

1. are the different languages actually different "metadata records" and
therefore should have a different identifier in the OAI header (I don't
think so)?

2. should I include, for example, multiple dc:title elements and add an
xml:lang attribute, e.g.:

<dc:title xml:lang="en">The Eiffel Tower</dc:title>
<dc:title xml:lang="fr">La Tour Eiffel</dc:title>

in this case, is the xml:lang attribute permitted by the XML Schema for
oai_dc?

Best regards

David Heath

--