[OAI-implementers] multiple metadata formats in Listidentifiers

Simeon Warner simeon at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Dec 6 17:15:00 EST 2006

Hi Henk,

The resolution of the issue you mention in [1] was not to provide a
facility for requesting multiple or 'best' metadata formats. The main
reasons, if I recall correctly, were the difficulty in defining 'best' and
in concerns about increased response size. Also the XML structure of the
response would have to be changed to permit multiple metadata records each
with about blocks. It wasn't considered to be a worthwhile optimization.

The solution if to make the two requests. Same amount of data transferred
so no real harm.

Cheers,
Simeon