[OAI-implementers] Superscript- and subscript-nodes

Thomas G. Habing thabing at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 21 13:08:20 EDT 2005

Dr. Elmar Haake wrote:
> Dear Thomas,
>
> thank you for your answer!
> Our tangible problem is implementing a chemical summary formular like
> 2-(Me_2 NCH_3 )C_6 H_4
> What shall we deal with this example?

Using Unicode numeric entities, something like this:

   2-(Me₂NCH₃)C₆H₄

I put together a quick test xml file at:

   http://128.174.36.55/char/test.xml

Using the Firefox web browser it looks fine with all of the subscripts
appearing, but using IE the _6 does not appear.  I have a lot of fonts
installed on my workstation, so your results may vary.

Another option would be to define your own metadata schema which allows
mixed content with embedded <sub> and <sup> elements.  You could even
define your own schema that allows MathML to be embedded in certain
elements.  We have some experimental XML metadata schema that allow
this, but the problem is that most OAI service providers are not
prepared to deal with any schema beyond simple oai_dc.  Some harvesters
are beginning to support MODS, Qualified DC, or others, but this still
doesn't solve the problem of embedded markup such as required by
mathematics.