[OAI-implementers] on the extensibility of OAI-PMH

Fabio Simeoni Fabio.Simeoni at cis.strath.ac.uk
Fri May 6 13:56:34 EDT 2005

Herbert,

the 'additional' stuff is indeed about items, not their metadata (so outside
the <about> container).
Defining a new metadata format does not seem satisfactory, because it either

1) freezes the format of both 'normal' and 'additional' stuff, and I am
after a general, application-independent mechanism.
2) does not mandate either (is a container) but consumes the possibility of
specifying precise formats for 'normal' and 'additional' stuff.

To rephrase, a harvester may want any combination of formats for both
metadata and extra stuff and I'm after mechanism that does not rely on the
standardisation of specific combinations of 'normal' and 'additional' stuff
(say DC&add1, MARC&add2, DC&add3, MARC&add1, ....). I'd rather having the
two parts to be standardised separately and combined on a per-request basis.

cheers,

fabio

Fabio Simeoni
Research Fellow
Department of Computer & Information Sciences
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow

TEL: +44 141 548 (3590)