[OAI-implementers] Searching open archives

Stephens Owen Owen.Stephens at rhul.ac.uk
Tue Nov 2 04:19:02 EST 2004

We have used the SFX link server in conjunction with arXive, but with
limited success. The linking works fine, using the syntax:

http://arXiv.org/openurl-resolver?id=oai:<archive>/<archiveId>

The main problem is that the majority of references supplied to SFX don't
contain the necessary 'archive' and 'archiveId' to provide a link to the
object in the repository.

One thought I've had about this is using somekind of lookup mechanism - as
used with CrossRef to get the DOI for a specific reference. However, I
suspect to provide a useful service to the end user, we need to get more
precise about what we are linking to (pre-print, post-print, referreed or
not, etc.)

This type of refinement will obviously only be possible if it becomes
standard to record this type of information in the repositories in the first
place - and although I've seen some discussion about this, I haven't seen
anything practical come out so far.

Owen

Owen Stephens
E-Strategy Co-ordinator