[OAI-implementers] Publication date and Datestamps

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:49:27 -0500 (EST)

Within OAI the record datestamp MUST be the date of last update of
the metadata record. Otherwise incremental harveting will not work.

Within simple dc metadata there is no (accepted) way to differentiate
types of date in the dc:date fields. For e-prints, a good recommendation
is that in the RDN guidelines given by Andy Powell, Michael Day and Peter
Cliff:
http://www.rdn.ac.uk/projects/eprints-uk/docs/simpledc-guidelines/#date

  dc:date (*) Eprint-specific Recommendation:

  The 'last-modified' date of the eprint and/or the date of its accession
  into the archive.

  The date should be formatted according to the W3C encoding rules for
  dates  and times [9] (a profile based on ISO 8601 known as W3C-DTF), for
  example:

  <dc:date>2000-12-25</dc:date>
  <dc:date>1999</dc:date>
  <dc:date>2003-01</dc:date>

  If necessary, repeat this element to provide both the last-modified date
  and the date of accession. The last-modified date will be assumed to be
  the more recent of the two dates. If only one date is provided, it will
  be assumed that the last-modified date and the date of accession are the

--
Simeon