[OAI-implementers] Requesting a part of a record possible wit h OAI-OMH?

Hussein Suleman hussein@cs.uct.ac.za
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:27:19 +0200

hi Andy

it looks most interesting ... here are some thoughts:

- your descriptions are for an independent external registry, while i
was proposing a "friends"-like services offered on the same archive. as
such, "title" would be a moot point, while you (rightly) require it.

- your service identifiers are assigned by a central authority - with a
self-description, that should not be necessary (and may even violate
some information independence principles)

- you do not have a formal identifier for the protocol and i think that
is quite important to match clients and servers for services. i was
suggesting the canonical URI of the protocol specification. if someone
comes up with a new CGI-based protocol, they SHOULD have a specification
written down somewhere, otherwise i don't see the point of advertising
the interface publicly.

- WSDL is tricky. did you use the draft spec or the technical note?
there are encoding differences between the two, so until this becomes a
standard, i am keeping my distance.

- access rights may be useful. administrator may be covered already (by
adminEmail). contributor is again not relevant in this case, but i see
that that is optional anyway so it doesnt matter.

so ... do you think these differing requirements can be merged? (im
still not sure where/how i will use this yet, but at least a few other
seem interested as well).

ttfn,
----hussein